9 thoughts on “Python Shoutcast and Freevo

  1. I’m glad you are finding it useful… I’d like to implement a few more features (like saving stations), but that’s gonna have to wait till I have a bit more free time.


  2. I installed your shoutcast module for freevo and everytime I try to use it I get a menu crash. Looking in the log this is what I get an error on line 170 of feeds.py when it tries to open the url in fetch_statins

  3. Here is the entire output. I am using freevo 1.5.3
    on Gentoo with python 2.3.5

    Getting fresh feed
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/freevo/main.py”, line 315, in eventhand
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/freevo/menu.py”, line 561, in eventhand
    action( arg=arg, menuw=self )
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/freevo/audio/plugins/shoutcast.py”, lin
    e 68, in generate_genre_menu
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/py_shoutcast/feeds.py”, line 193, in pa
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/py_shoutcast/feeds.py”, line 170, in fe
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib.py”, line 181, in open
    return getattr(self, name)(url)
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib.py”, line 306, in open_http
    return self.http_error(url, fp, errcode, errmsg, headers)
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib.py”, line 323, in http_error
    return self.http_error_default(url, fp, errcode, errmsg, headers)
    File “/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib.py”, line 329, in http_error_default
    raise IOError, (‘http error’, errcode, errmsg, headers)
    IOError: (‘http error’, 302, ‘Found’, )

  4. Now that you fixed the shoutcast module, I went through and made some changes to the Freevo plugin. It now uses the Freevo audioitem by importing it instead of copying some of the code which is what it looks like you did. I also added a popup with progress for when it is downloading the feeds because sometimes it would take a little while to get the feeds and nothing would be happening this way the user at least has an idea something is going on. I also made it play nice with the detach mode. It didn’t have any of the info that detach looked for so I added that. Then I cleaned up the code to the Freevo Coding Standard and remove some of what appeared to me to be useless variables. I hope that you can use my changes, I feel they would benefit anyone who uses your Shoutcast modules.


Leave a Reply