Got a few more bits added this weekend:
Used the normal switch for our ceiling fan/lighting fixture in the den, was hoping for something to be able to control the fan and lighting separately but the module for that is almost 3x more expensive than the switch so decided it just wasn’t worth it for now. The three way switch I installed in our downstairs hallway. Installation there was slightly trickier than a normal two way, but a few minutes with a multimeter got me up and running.
The thermostat was the most interesting of the three pieces to install, mostly since the installation manual assumes a level of familiarity with home cooling systems that I didn’t have going in. It’s really meant to be installed by a professional, but a little google research filled in the missing pieces. One note here, the thermostat I replaced was modern enough that the wiring was done correctly and was nicely labeled. If not for that, I would have had to spend significant time tracing wires and potentially running a common 24v wire to provide power.
Once installed, all three devices paired easily with my controller and I was able to get em included in a few more scenes without issue. The more I play with this stuff, the better it seems to get…
The Moar automation by Matthew Schick, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.